When cold weather strikes, carbon monoxide can become dangerous to individuals who are trying to stay warm, but may have a furnace malfunction or improper venting. There are a number of steps that can be taken to reduce the odds of being harmed or killed due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. It does not have a color, an odor, or a taste, and it is deadly. Carbon monoxide is a very common gas that is released when fossil fuels are burned. When carbon monoxide is inhaled, it combines with hemoglobin, which blocks an individual’s ability to carry oxygen to the cells of the body. The body can begin to suffocate, even though the individual is still breathing in air. The symptoms of carbon monoxide include headaches, dizziness, nausea, convulsions, and unconsciousness. Death can occur after a few minutes of carbon monoxide exposure.
Carbon monoxide cannot be easily detected. The best way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to install detectors in all rooms of your home, particularly if you use gas or oil furnaces. It’s also important not to let your vehicle idle in the garage, and use the fan above gas stoves when cooking. You should also have your furnace and fireplace inspected regularly.
If you have been harmed because of carbon monoxide poisoning, and you think another party was responsible, our firm can help. We are experienced in handling carbon monoxide cases, and we will provide you with a free consultation on your case.