If you have been involved in an automobile accident in Houston, you are probably physically injured, emotionally distressed, and uncertain of what to do. You are not alone. Almost three million Americans are injured in the U.S. every year. If you are injured, you have the right to seek compensation from the other driver. Every case is different, but generally there are some things you should avoid.
- Not seeking medical treatment after the accident. If you are hurt in a car accident, you should seek medical treatment as quickly as possible. If it’s a very serious situation, it’s likely you an ambulance will be called to the scene and you will be treated right away. If injuries manifest later, you should seek treatment right away. If you wait, it can appear that you were not really hurt in the accident.
- Failing to speak with a personal injury attorney. Only in very limited situations in which there are no injuries and very little to no property damage should you not hire an attorney. Personal injury attorneys’ jobs are maximizing the amount of your compensation while at the same time taking the burden off of you of handling the case alone. Statistics show that people who hire attorneys get a far greater amount of compensation than those who don’t.
- Talking to an insurance adjuster before speaking with an attorney. Calls to insurance adjusters are recorded. It’s possible you could accidentally say something incriminating without realizing it. Insurance adjusters are not your friends. Talk to an attorney before speaking with them.
- Settling too quickly. It can be very tempting to take a quick settlement offered by an insurance company without speaking to an attorney. You may be worried about money and anxious to put the matter behind you. However, rarely will this result in a fair payout to you.
- Posting on social media. Your social media posts can ruin your case in some instances. Avoid posting anything about your accident or much about your personal life – this can only harm your case, not help.
If you have been harmed in an accident in the Houston area, you should speak with an attorney. We can help. Call us today to learn more or to schedule a consultation on your case.