Since 2011, Xarelto has been linked to hundreds of cases of injuries and death in patients who have taken the drug as an anticoagulant. The medication is reported to cause internal and gastrointestinal bleeding, as well as other dangerous side effects. Unfortunately, this medication is still in use.
Seven Reasons Dangerous Drug Xarelto Is Still in Use
Why would a drug that has been proven to be dangerous for many patients continue to be prescribed? The following is an overview:
- The medication is designed to be an anticoagulant, preventing the clotting of blood by engaging the process that the body uses in order to prevent blood loss.
- It was developed as an alternative to Warfarin, which was previously the most commonly used medication to reduce the risks associated with an abnormal heart rhythm that is not caused by a problem with a heart valve.
- Xarelto is designed to work directly upon protein Factor Xa to prevent an enzyme that causes clotting of the blood from forming. It does this by interrupting the blood-clotting process.
- Marketers of this drug claim that it is more convenient and safer than Warfarin.
- Patients taking Xarelto do not require frequent visits to the doctor.
- Marketers also allege that patients do not suffer significant lifestyle changes while taking Xarelto.
Since the drug continues to be prescribed by medical professionals, it is crucial that patients educate themselves on the dangers and benefits of this drug before proceeding. Many patients make the mistake of blindly taking any medication that a doctor orders, without first doing proper research. Patients must be their own advocates in order to protect their health.